Friday, October 5, 2012

Costume Tips: The first of many to come!

I love costuming. I loved dress up as a kid (who didn't, right?) and because I was 18 feet tall and nothing fit right, I learned to sew at an early age. I can appreciate elaborate costumes, but it doesn't take something insanely expensive to make a complete and desirable look. I'm going to give you 3 things I think are super-important for a polished well-costumed look. Even if you just have on a black dress, pants and top, this will help a lot.



3 Essentials:

1. Your head. This is the first thing people see. Even if they can't see your face, they can see your head! I see there being a couple different options here (a) a wig, (b) awesome hair style with flashy hair piece, or (c) hat.
A- Make sure a wig is what you want. I happen to LOVE wigs, but it's not for everyone. You can get a cheap one and brush it out, style it up, and even use some hair product in it. I don't brush my curly wigs, just gently brush with my hands. Don't be afraid to go bold with awesome colors. If a wig is not full enough, layer them. Seriously. Two kinda full wigs make one amazingly full wig. That's what the drag queens do, just sayin'. I like to wear wigs when I perform fire, that way I still look good, but I don't burn my hair....however I have melted a wig before...oops :)
B- Flowers, feathers, and shiny things. "Fascinators" is what the Brits call them. You can buy a flashy something for your hair, or glue things onto a headband. I use E-6000 glue for a bunch of stuff because once it dries, it will stay glued through hell or high water! I used it to make these shoes (I added the gems). I have beat the crap out of them but still the gems remain glued! I also like to tease my hair up real big and then put something crazy in it. If you don't have a lot of hair go for a wig or fancy hat.
C- Hats. It doesn't have to bee too special to make a difference. I mean, don't just wear a ball cap, but even something as simple as a top hat or...what do you call that hat Michael Jackson wore that Justin T also likes to wear???...Well, you know what I mean. Something slick or fun, depending on the occasion. You can also make a hat. For kids, a simple cone made out of poster board with pompoms and streamers makes for a great circus hat. For adults, take an existing hat or small box (like the Ben & Jerry's ice cream containers) and use hot glue to cover it in fabric. Add feathers, gems, and other embellishments. Or, just go to the store and buy a hat!

Ok, enough about that. You get the point. Your head matters. Just make sure whatever you do you can keep it on... NEXT!

2- Your eyes! First thing you look at (when you're not seeing someone's head from a distance). Eyes! Hello! WEAR EYELASHES. Man, it makes your make-up and costume look so good. Don't get stupid crazy eyelashes, or stupid boring eyelashes. Get something that suits your costume. So, in other words, don't wear big feather lashes with your little 50's pin-up costume. Do wear big feather lashes with your out-of-this-world alien space agent costume. They are easy to put on. Just like elementary school...don't use too much glue. Allow the glue to dry for a second, set the strip of eyelash on top of your lashes, then carefully slide up to the edge where your lashes and eyelid meet. Tweezers help if you have a tendency to get glue on your fingers. For guys, even something as simple as a clockwork-orange eye or black eyeliner design will make you stand above the non-decorated!



3- Your hands. You use them more than you think. Do something with them. Gloves, armbands, bangles, painted or fake nails, jewelry, something--ANYTHING! This is a small but important detail. I always keep a spare set of armbands on me for fire performing. I love to wear them because I still have full use of my hands (no slip or restrictions from gloves), they help protect my wrists from any licks of fire, and they look flashy! It's one added pop of color or detail that people will appreciate. Well-decorated nails or fake nails will also keep you looking good. Guys, clean your nails, trim them, and wear some cool wrist bands.

Those are my 3 important details. You can incorporate this into virtually any costume, and it will just enhance your look. Take your costume seriously, and people will take you seriously in costume.

More to follow!
Christy The Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment