Thursday, July 19, 2012

How You Learn to Dance with Fire...and not get (very) burned

When people ask me how I learned to perform fire, I have to give them the short version. "I made some friends who are burners, they taught me, and I became an addict!" While this is true, the longer story is more real to me and its memory has helped my through harder times. I've learned to respect fire and to respect myself as a performer--in doing so I've avoided serious accidents and other problems.

The Back-Story
When I was a senior at North Carolina State University, somewhat depressed, and facing health issues and other personal problems, I picked up my roommate's hula hoop. The week before I had seen a girl dance with a hula hoop, scoop it up off her waist while it was still spinning, and then continue to spin it in the air. (Now, the same girl just happens to be one my best friends and owner of Raleigh's first circus arts studio.) I had never hula hooped, and in fact was laughed at in middle school for not being able to. Regardless, I was determined to do that same movement I had seen her do. I kept trying and I never stopped smiling, and after days of skipping class, bruising myself, and laughing at myself a lot, I actually began to get it.

The Immersion
I met the hula hooping girl, Sara, and told her about my experience seeing her with the hoop, and then mimicking her movements. We began practicing together and became close friends. I am so grateful for her friendship and the impact she has had on my life; she was the first person to introduce me to fire, and it was with her that I experienced my first fire spin. I met other burners, from the Fire Triangle in Raleigh, and performers from circusSPARK, the triangle's annual grassroots art expo. I devoted myself to practicing and reaching for as many new skills as I could. I performed and promoted myself as a performer as much as possible my last semester of college, and I learned some big lessons.

Rules for Being a Successful Performer (Aka "Things I did wrong that you shouldn't do")
1. Don't get full of yourself--confidence is good but you don't have to be better than someone in order to be good at something.
2. Treat every person like they are your neighbor--you might think "I will never see this person again", but it's actually quite possible that you will. Sometimes you've got to lay down the law, especially when safety is a concern, but in general, PLAY NICE.
3. Be honest with yourself--exhaustion is a performers mortal enemy! Bad things happen when you are too tired. Take breaks, relax, eat well, get a massage--do the things you need to do to keep your body and mind 100% and if you're not feeling 100%--STOP. Even if it means postponing a show--better to do that than to get hurt or worse--hurt someone else. Illness and poor performing conditions (i.e. winds, slick surface, children too close to stage) are also important things to be honest with yourself and others about.
4. Get formal safety training--whatever your skill or act, learn how to do it safely and learn from professionals who are much more experienced than you. Also, have a first aid kit and any safety equipment you will possibly need.

I value the experiences, good and bad (but mostly good), I have had as a fire performer. I think it's most important to recognize the seriousness of fire, the danger, and the safety precautions and preparation it takes to be a good, safe performer. Familiarize yourself with your tools, movements, setting, and clothing/costumes long before you light anything on fire.

Until next time,
Christy the Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment